Thursday, September 10, 2026

Blog Post #5


Privacy: Online and Off

Government surveillance in the United States.
When I think about privacy today, I realize how much information about me exists outside of my control. As a college student, I use apps, social media, and digital services every day.


I often agree to terms without thinking about where my information goes or who may eventually have access to it. This raises an important question for me: How much information should the government and other organizations be allowed to collect about innocent people?

Mass surveillance creates a serious threat to civil liberties. Information collected about innocent people can potentially be used for blackmail, political advantage, or other purposes that were never intended when the information was originally collected. To me, this is not simply a political issue belonging to one side. It is a bipartisan issue because privacy and civil liberties affect everyone.

One concept that stands out to me is the contract of adhesion. This happens when one party has most or all of the power. I see this in my own relationship with apps on my phone.


When I download an app, I am usually presented with terms that I either accept or do not use the app. I do not have much power to negotiate those terms.

This connects to the larger issue of data mining. Information about people can be collected and analyzed in ways that we may not fully understand. Ideas such as deep pocket inspection, digital dossiers, and tracking malware show how much information can potentially be gathered about an individual.

The third-party doctrine also concerns me. When I voluntarily give information to a second party, such as an app or service, I may give up control over what happens to that information downstream. Something that I originally shared for one purpose can potentially become part of a much larger collection of information about me.

Facial recognition makes this issue even more concerning. The technology has become very advanced and is increasingly infiltrating everyday life. I have to wonder how much control I actually have over information that can be used to identify me without my direct involvement.

Flock Cameras in the US.

Another idea that stood out to me is the concept of electronic tattoos. Our digital reputation could remain long after we are gone. Information placed into the digital world can become part of a lasting record. That makes me think differently about everything I put online because my digital presence could outlast me.

Flock cameras are another example that concerns me because I see them as an abuse of power. When surveillance becomes so common that people are constantly being watched or tracked, the boundary between public safety and personal privacy becomes difficult to define.

I believe the government should take the threat to civil liberties seriously. People should not have to assume that information they provide for one purpose can eventually be used for something completely different.

The government should also be held accountable for how information about innocent people is collected and used. Mass surveillance should not become an excuse to gather as much information as possible simply because the technology allows it.

For me, the most important issue is power. When one side has the ability to collect enormous amounts of information and the other side has little ability to control it, there is an obvious imbalance. That imbalance is exactly what makes privacy such an important civil liberties issue.

I think protecting privacy starts with recognizing how much information we give away. I cannot completely control every piece of information that exists about me, but I can become more aware of what I agree to and what I share.


I can also pay more attention to the apps and services I use instead of automatically accepting every term presented to me.

Understanding concepts such as data mining, digital dossiers, tracking malware, and the third-party doctrine helps me recognize the larger privacy risks behind everyday technology.

Ultimately, I do not think privacy should be treated as something that only matters when someone has something to hide. Privacy is connected to our freedom, our reputation, and our ability to control information about ourselves.

The more I learn about mass surveillance, the more I realize that protecting privacy is not just about protecting secrets. It is about making sure that the power to collect and use personal information does not become greater than the rights of the people being watched.


 ________________________________________________________

AI DISCLOSURE: I used Microsoft Copilot to shape my writing.  I put in my own notes I took while watching the videos and had AI correctly shape what I was trying to convey.  It is all my thoughts.  I used it for grammar and spelling as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anti War Blog Post

 Anti War Blog Post #6 Peaceful Anti-war protesters in the 1920s of the Progressive Era. O ne of the biggest themes I took away from the vid...