Thursday, September 24, 2026

Anti War Blog Post

 Anti War Blog Post #6

Peaceful Anti-war protesters in the 1920s of the Progressive Era.

One of the biggest themes I took away from the videos on the Progressive Era was how controversial antiwar speech became during World War I. The videos explained that many Americans opposed U.S. involvement in the war, but instead of being welcomed into public debate, many antiwar activists were criticized, silenced, and even imprisoned for expressing their views.

This surprised me because freedom of speech is often presented as one of the most important American values. Yet during WWI, those who questioned the war effort often faced serious consequences for speaking their minds.

The Progressive Era is often remembered for reform movements, economic change, and efforts to improve society. However, the period was also shaped by growing tensions surrounding World War I.

Once the United States entered the war, dissent was frequently viewed as unpatriotic. Many Americans believed that criticism of the government could weaken national unity during a time of conflict.

The government used laws such as the Espionage Act and the Sedition Act to punish people who spoke out against the war effort. As a result, antiwar activists, socialists, and other critics of the war found themselves under investigation, fined, or even sent to prison.

Looking back, this period shows how constitutional freedoms can be tested when a nation faces fear, uncertainty, or war. Rights that seem secure during peaceful times can become much more fragile during moments of crisis.

What stood out to me most was the role of the First Amendment. The amendment exists to protect free speech, especially unpopular speech that challenges those in power.

Anti-war in the Progressive Era.

It is easy to support free expression when most people agree with a message. The real test comes when citizens criticize government policies or express opinions that go against the majority.

The experiences of antiwar activists during World War I demonstrate why free-speech protections are so important. Without those protections, people may be afraid to voice concerns about government actions, including decisions about war.

Exploring modern antiwar organizations helped me connect this history to the present day. Websites such as Antiwar.com regularly publish articles questioning U.S. military involvement abroad and arguing that war often creates unintended consequences.

Similarly, writers at The American Conservative frequently challenge interventionist foreign policy and advocate for a more restrained approach to international conflicts. Although their political perspectives may differ, both sites provide viewpoints that are often missing from mainstream discussions.

One question that came to mind while exploring these websites is why strong antiwar viewpoints sometimes seem less visible in major news outlets. This is a complicated issue with no simple answer.

It may be influenced by audience demand, editorial priorities, political pressures, or the tendency of large media organizations to focus on military strategy and political debates rather than opposition movements. Whatever the reason, these websites show that antiwar voices are still very much active in American society.


I do not think we have to agree with every argument presented by antiwar writers. However, I do think there is value in hearing perspectives that challenge common assumptions and force people to think critically about foreign policy.

Reflecting on both the historical videos and these modern websites, I believe dissent plays an essential role in a democracy. Citizens should be able to question government policies without fear of punishment or censorship.

The experiences of antiwar activists during World War I remind us that free speech is not always popular, especially during times of conflict. Yet protecting unpopular opinions may be one of the most important purposes of the First Amendment.

Ultimately, a healthy democracy depends on open debate. Whether people support or oppose a particular war, they should have the freedom to express their views, listen to opposing perspectives, and participate in discussions that help shape the future of the country.

Video #1

Video #2

Video #3


Ai Disclosure: In this blog post, I used Microsoft Copilot to shape my writing and my ideas about antiwar voices and how they are often silenced.  I asked Copilot to create a blog post and utilize the three videos that we watched on our own.  I also used Copilot to check my spelling, structure, and grammar throughout the post.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anti War Blog Post

 Anti War Blog Post #6 Peaceful Anti-war protesters in the 1920s of the Progressive Era. O ne of the biggest themes I took away from the vid...